|New Paintings & New Sculpture|
|May 4 - Jun 1, 1985|
During May, the Frumkin Gallery will show new works by James Surls and Chuck Dugan, both of whom live and work in Texas. James Surls will be having his third gallery exhibition with a group of new wood sculptures not previously shown here. They are exhibited to complement the two very large works currently on view in the Whitney Museum's Biennial.
Chuck Dugan had his first painting exhibition in New York at the Frumkin Gallery last May. The show received considerable critical attention and covered about two years of the artist's work. The new paintings in the current exhibition show a marked coloristic development from that show, and while the paintings remain essentially abstract, they continue to have allusions to figural elements and still-life. Dugan will be represented in the "Fresh Paint" show organized in Houston, which opens May 5th at P.S.1 in Long Island City.
James Surls is currently having a retrospective exhibition of his sculpture and drawings organized by the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts. The show was completed its run in Dallas and opens at the La Jolla Museum May 3rd. The artist's work has been widely seen in the East, notably at the Guggenheim Museum and the Whitney, as well as numerous New York gallery exhibitions.
The two artsts - who are personal friends - will each be represented by four large works. This will mark the first time that they have exhibited together, although they have collaborated in the past on a project for a show in Houston.
The exhibition will open on May 4th and run through June 1st. The Frumkin Gallery is open from 10 to 6, Tuesday through Friday and from 12 to 5:30 on Saturday.
1. Jade, 1984, oil on canvas, 78 x 59 inches,
2. Eks Eks, 1984, oil on canvas, 78 x 116 inches
3. MM of Mexico City, 1984, oil on canvas, 78 x 116 inches
4. Blue Bells, 1984, oil on canvas, 96 x 78 inches
5. The State of Africa, 1984, oil on canvas, 36 x 54 inches
6. Being in Music, 1984, oak/rattan, 103 x 44 x 64 inches
7. Knife Head, 1985, oak, 108 x 60 x 39 inches
8. Being Here, 1984, oak, 50 1/4 x 48 x 44 inches
9. Big Man Goes To The Arms Race, 1984, oak, 81 x 63 x 21 inches